What we know about suspects charged in Ortiz shooting

What we know about suspects charged in Ortiz shooting

© Roberto Guzman/Associated Press Eddy Vladimir Féliz Garcia in custody.

At least two suspects are currently in custody in connection with the shooting of retired Red Sox legend David Ortiz on Sunday night in his native Santo Domingo.

Here’s what we know about the alleged assailants.

1] Eddy Vladimir Féliz Garcia — The 23-year-old Garcia stands accused of driving the gunman to the night spot where Ortiz was shot in the back. The beloved former slugger is currently recovering at Mass. General.

Garcia made an initial court appearance in Santo Domingo Tuesday night and remains in police custody. His lawyer and his mother insist he’s innocent of any wrongdoing, asserting he’s a motorcycle taxi driver who unwittingly picked up the gunman as a fare and drove him to the crime scene without knowing his intentions.

In a statement Tuesday, Attorney General Jean Alain Rodríguez’s office said prosecutors are requesting one year of preventative detention for Garcia, who also goes by El Nata or Vladi. Authorities described Garcia as an “accomplice to the assassination attempt” on Ortiz.

Garcia appears to be an aspiring rapper who performs under the moniker El Nata, according to his Instagram page.

Replay Video

UP NEXT

  • Ortiz to recover from second surgery in Boston

    Ortiz to recover from second surgery in Boston

    Retired Red Sox player David Ortiz had a successful second surgery Monday night at Mass General in Boston.

    Sports Media Group LogoSports Media Group
  • a baseball player holding a bat on a field: Max Muncy, Madison Bumgarner Ignite Latest Chapter of Dodgers-Giants Rivalry

    Muncy, Bumgarner ignite latest chapter of Dodgers-Giants rivalry

    Max Muncy and Madison Bumgarner renewed the Dodgers-Giants rivalry on Sunday as they exchanged verbal jabs at each other after the LA first baseman hit a home run that landed in McCovey Cove. SI Now’s Robin Lundberg and Amy Campbell are left wonderin

    Sports Illustrated LogoSports Illustrated
  • a man wearing a suit and tie

    Former Boston Red Sox Player David Ortiz Shot in Dominican Republic

    Former Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz was ambushed by a man who got off a motorcycle and shot him in the back at nearly point-blank range Sunday night in his native Dominican Republic, authorities said.

    Time LogoTime

SETTINGS

OFF

HD

HQ

SD

LO

UP NEXT

UP NEXT

Video by Sports Illustrated

2] The second suspect — On Tuesday night, an official briefed on the case said a second person had been taken into custody, but the suspect’s name wasn’t released. Police had been looking for a man who they believed had shot Ortiz Sunday night, though it wasn’t immediately clear if the person apprehended Tuesday night is the suspected gunman.

3] Additional parties — In its statement on Garcia, Rodríguez’s office suggested more people are being sought in connection with the shooting. The release said in Spanish that “other persons” who participated in the crime have been identified, and more details will be released in a “timely manner” once “the capture and interrogations” have been completed.

The Dominican newspaper Listin Diario, citing law enforcement officials, has reported that Garcia and the gunman allegedly plotted the shooting with other people who were in two Hyundai vehicles one street away from the Dial Bar and Lounge, where Ortiz was at the time of the attack.

The newspaper identified the suspected gunman as Oliver Mirabal, who was captured Tuesday night.

4] Motive unclear — Authorities have not said why they believe the gunman shot Ortiz but have ruled out robbery as a motive.

Maria Cramer, Aimee Ortiz, Michael Levenson, Bob Hohler, and Pete Abraham of the Globe Staff contributed to this report. Travis Andersen can be reached at travis.andersen@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @TAGlobe.

Related slideshow: The 2019 MLB season (Provided by imagn) 

a baseball player pitching a ball on a field: New York Mets first baseman Pete Alonso (20) and second baseman Jeff McNeil (6) attempt to catch a foul ball against the New York Yankees during the first inning of game two of a doubleheader at Yankee Stadium on June 11, 2019. 


Source : Link

Follow 3-www.NET
Follow
e-News.US
  
Share
e-News.Us


Loading...

Category Latest Post